Eating our Way to Heaven – Reformist Style
The Reformists of the SDARM generally BELIEVE and TEACH:
- Vegetarianism should be a ‘salvation issue’ as a test of fellowship.
The Reformists are WRONG because:
- Ellen White herself explicitly said vegetarianism and other food-related reforms should not be a test of fellowship.
- Eating meat clearly is not a sin. As observed in Luke 24:42-43, Jesus in His Resurrect form ate fish.
- Ellen White herself ate meat at times when other foods were not available.
- Ellen White gave no counsel against chocolate or cocoa.
- Ellen White did counsel against cheese; however, as her son later noted, she and her family continued to eat soft ‘dutch’ cheeses, like cottage cheese.
- Ellen White taught that food reform would be progressive, dependent upon time and geographical location. For example, her own family distinguished between beef in agrarian nations like Australia compared with others.
- The idea that vegetarianism should be a test of Christian fellowship has absolutely no basis in scripture. Reformists do not in practice uphold the Protestant doctrine of sola scriptura – the Bible and the Bible alone.